RE: Smog laws again

To: Holden@npo.bae.com
Subject: RE: Smog laws again
From: Jay_Laifman@Countrywide.Com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:30:29 -0700
Bill writes:

>Car guys can't resist everything because I believe that
>most everyone living & breathing in that tinted air should
>certainly want viable improvements.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with Bill.  For some time I
have been unable to reconcile my concerns with the air we breath, the
ozone, etc., and my love for driving classic cars.  Now don't go tell me
that a well maintained 50's/60's sports car is clean compared to today's
cars.  It's just not.  Yeah there is that theory that simply building a car
and making all the plastic parts puts out more fumes than my cars will ever
put out in their life time.  But, then so must making all the repro stuff
that I used to restore my car and replace the tires, etc.  And, I can't say
it's ok because my car rarely gets driven - it gets driven every day.

I will say I don't buy the electric car answer yet since it's simply
putting the exhaust in someone else's back yard.

Fortunately, the pre '75 cars are still exempt (note '75 cars are not
exempt).  Unfortunately, 75 and later cars were some of the most
problematic with trying to get smog equipment and engines to mate together
well.

As an aside and a warning, I do note that the cars that are exempt can
still be caught if what looks like remote sensors indicate that they are
putting out more than they should be suggesting that they have been
modified.  So, you better not dump it on freeway on ramps!

Jay