Re: Fan Clearance

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fan Clearance
From: "Cullen Bennett" <r51465@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:46:36 -0700
Bob, Cecil and group,
<big snip>
>There seems to be a bit of variation between Tigers
>in this regard. How much clearance would there be in your case with the new
>radiator? Cullen may have given his clearance way back when, but if so I
>don't recall. I just have the impression from earlier discussions that
>there is some variation that may be the result of tolerances in chassis
>construction, motor mounts, etc. I think Cullen's comments would be more
>helpful if he's available.
<snip>

I ended up with somewhere between 5/8 and 3/4 inch. Just enough to be
able to easily slide
a new belt behind the blades without smashing the soft aluminum fins. I
was concerned
about how much the fan blades would flex forward under hard
acceleration. The modified Ford fan (six blade) is however pretty stiff
(as compared to the fiberglass). I think it uses tempered aluminum for
the blades. As I remember, it cut really nice and clean on a bandsaw.
As far as clearance adjustment, remember that the motor mounts "Can" be
inadvertantly put on backwards, which will shove everything forward by
about 3/8 inch. I have seen some Tigers that have a lot more space than
I ever had (even with the original radiator), as Bob said, there are a
lot of chassis tolerances that were pretty sloppy compared to modern
standards. But, that comes for free with "Hand Crafted".
cheers,
Cullen
p.s.
to: Steve Sage
>I'll be real happy to get around 300 HP
>or so. I talked to a Tiger owner today who had put in a 345HP Ford
>Motorsport "crate" motor, cost $3400, and he was raving about how fast
>it is and that it still idles pretty smoothly with a Holly 600.
Go talk to Ken Matise, He has put a "heart stopping" engine in his
little red Tiger. As I recall, it is somewhere around 348 CI
give-or-take a few cubes. Bored and stroked 302 I believe, plus a lot
more goodies!!
CB