Update on brake problem

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Update on brake problem
From: Greg Shaw <gs@clarityconnect.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 09:36:17 -0400
Hi all

Thanks for all the ideas on the brake problem the other day. Here is the
updated situation.

The system fluid is clean and bled.
There is no side to side movement of the rotors (good idea though!).
The rear brakes are adjusted.

I think this leaves questions about the booster and the master cylinder.

The question is, would a malfunctioning booster show these symptoms?
Increased pedal travel once in a while, always fixed by one pump of the
pedal. The pedal does not become spongy, it just moves much further before
braking occurs. There is no increase in pedal force required to stop the
car. Although it feels as though there may be partial loss of braking
effectiveness. Also, the booster is new, Dan put this one on the car within
the last year.

Does this sound like the master cylinder yet?
One more thing: When I am stopped with the engine running, if I keep my
foot on the pedal and apply a lot of force the pedal does not sink at all.
If the master were leaking internally wouldn't I get some kind of pedal
movement sitting there with my foot planted on the pedal?

Thanks again
Greg