Re: Update on brake problem

To: Greg Shaw <gs@clarityconnect.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Update on brake problem
From: derekw@zamnet.zm
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 16:55:31 +0200 (ZMT)
Greg,

I suspect the little non-return valve in the M/C which allows fluid to feed
down into the piston from the reservoir but closes (well it should) under
braking. These come with the rebuild kit. Only other thing I can think of is
the booster assist coming in at different amounts of pedal travel. Try
disconnecting and plugging the booster hose and see if the variation comes
with unassisted braking. Bonus is you get more leg exercise during the
experiment. Cheers, derek

PS Got my crank back cut and balanced. Looks like they only removed a few
grams from the external balance wedge on the flywheel. Hope it runs smoothly
after all the effort. Thanks to all for the balancing info-- especially the
tip of sending the timing sprocket to get the pulley position right.

At 09:36 07/09/2000 -0400, Greg Shaw wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Thanks for all the ideas on the brake problem the other day. Here is the
>updated situation.
>
>The system fluid is clean and bled.
>There is no side to side movement of the rotors (good idea though!).
>The rear brakes are adjusted.
>
>I think this leaves questions about the booster and the master cylinder.
>
>The question is, would a malfunctioning booster show these symptoms?
>Increased pedal travel once in a while, always fixed by one pump of the
>pedal. The pedal does not become spongy, it just moves much further before
>braking occurs. There is no increase in pedal force required to stop the
>car. Although it feels as though there may be partial loss of braking
>effectiveness. Also, the booster is new, Dan put this one on the car within
>the last year.
>
>Does this sound like the master cylinder yet?
>One more thing: When I am stopped with the engine running, if I keep my
>foot on the pedal and apply a lot of force the pedal does not sink at all.
>If the master were leaking internally wouldn't I get some kind of pedal
>movement sitting there with my foot planted on the pedal?
>
>Thanks again
>Greg

Derek White
Managing Director