Re: Mostly non Tiger for Rocker men.

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Mostly non Tiger for Rocker men.
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:29:57 -0700
Jim,

Yes, you are correct, the "white" powder is aluminum oxide from the
solid rocket boosters.  It started out as fine aluminum particles, mixed
in with a lot of ammonium  perchlorate, and some synthetic polymer
binder.  Some other stuff, like newt's eyes and bat-wings are included -
but that's classified information.  There are other materials inside the
nozzle and insulation inside the motor that get burned and thrown out
the nozzle too.

I went inside one 3 days after we tested it on the ground and removed
the nozzle end (on top).  I almost passed out from the stench and fumes
- with protective equipment.

It's probably not "sticking to the paint", but, as the exhaust
temperatures exceed 5,000 deg. f this aluminum oxide is the result of
the combustion process and is spewed out as a gas.  It can start cooling
off, but it could have hit your car as a liquid, which burned it's way
into the paint.

Start looking for liability here.  Your car may need a complete sand
down to an uncontaminated surface, before it can be repainted - and not
have it come off a couple of years later.

We had a rare blow-up just off the pad, and really had a blow-over to
the CCAFS Museum site near the entry, where some cars were parked.  They
were all repainted (those that didn't burn to the ground).  In your
case, however, this was only the small portion of the exhaust products
left as the rest are boosting the rocket to separation a good long
distance away, both horizontally and vertically.

So sorry.

Hope you've got good insurance.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/