Re: Brake lines

To: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake lines
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:33:23 -0400
Hi Group.  I redid my lines myself, because I did a different braking
system on my Tiger.  Track Auto, Pep Boys, AutoZone all have the correct
bubble flares in various lengths.  If you bend the lines them selves,
its not too hard if you use the old line as a templet, take your time
and use a good tube bender.  Read the instructions and the bends will
come out like the factory.

If you have to cut the stock length tube, make sure you get a really
quality flaring tool.  I tried a cheap tool from Harbor Freight, a
supposedly quality tool from MAC, and then a Snap-On flaring tool.  Only
the Snap-On would produce a quality bubble flare that would not leak.
You can tell just by looking at the flare, and if looks smooth, and like
the manufactured end.

If you rent a flaring tool, try it out at the renter first on a piece of
scrap, before taking it home.

I also bent new 3/8" fuel lines, as I moved the Carter elec. fuel pump
in the same locations as the MKII, in the trunk tire well.  It took me 3
tries to get the line bent over all the angles so that it fit right.
These thicker lines are much harder to learn on than the brake lines.
You can use a coat hanger as a templet for new lines if you don't have
an old line to use.

Again, it just takes patience and time.

Good Luck