Re: Brake lines Bubble/Double - Safety!!!

To: Carmods@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake lines Bubble/Double - Safety!!!
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:41:18 -0700
Carmods@aol.com wrote:

> Too All,
> I have a flaring tool made by "Oldforge Tools" that has dies shaped to make
> the bubble flare on the first operation and then on the second operation it
> turns the bubble flare into a double flare. As long as the end is cut
> absolutely square and properly debured it makes both bubble flare and double
> flares that don't leak.
>  The cheap tools I've tried don't seem to be able to grib the tube well
> enough so the tube slips while you are trying to form the end.
>
>                                                         John Logan

John,

ALL Double-Flare hand tools work in two stages.  The first stage uses an
auxiliary tip insert to "Bulge" the tube into a shape "resembling" a "bubble"
flare shape, the second step folds this "<>" shape into the familiar double
cone "<<".

This first step may "look" like you've made a bubble, but it is not the same in
dimensions or angle, and is only a crude approximation in looks.

The "real" bubble flaring tool isn't expensive and harder to find if a standard
tool would do the job correctly.  Even Snap-On makes a separately numbered and
priced add-on dies for their Bubble flare attachment to their Double flare tool
that has that extra forming piece for the first double flare bulge.

Bottom Line:  Not the same thing.

The only reason I am writing so many messages on this particular thread is that
this is a vital SAFETY concern, and wouldn't want the savings of a few bucks to
cause a loss of brakes.

Sunbeam Specialties, and Classic Sunbeam (links on http://www.TigersUnited.com)
sells British style Bubble flare straight tubing in various lengths.  They are
not expensive, and the only tool needed is a GOOD tube bender.  He even has
that connector that fits just at the bottom of the firewall, with impossible to
reach wrench flats.

There are also cylinder and servo rebuilder links on the site that also sleeve
in stainless and brass.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/