RE: Listquest & Electrics question

To: "Richard Flynn" <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Listquest & Electrics question
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 20:23:56 -0700
Rick,

I have had a corroded battery connection exhibit the kind of symptoms you
are describing. It seems OK until you try to draw the big amperage the
starter needs, and then the connection opens up. I would start by cleaning
both battery connections, coat them with grease and reconnect them. Check
the battery ground connection at the chassis end too. Also, the positive
side could have a bad connection at the solenoid, but the most likely
problem is at the lead posts on the battery because the conditions for
corrosion are so favorable there. The connections between the solenoid and
starter can also be bad, but I don't think that would explain some of your
symptoms. Some of the symptoms you describe seem contradictory, but that may
depend on just what you are using for you ground reference. Always use a
good chassis ground as the reference to check voltages. BTW, a fully charged
battery should read about 13.2 volts.

I hope you have already found the problem, but if not, I hope this helps.

Bob

-