RE:RE:Rear End Setup? HELP!

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:RE:Rear End Setup? HELP!
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:35:13 -0700
Tom,
 Thank you for your input. I checked and the dimension in question is
actually 2.625". 25 years ago when I was a machinist student at L.A. Trade
Tech (I now have a different career) I made a set of gage blocks. These
straddle the carrier bearing mount mid point nicely. Since this is the
actual distance being measured (the Rootes type gage compensates for this) I
was going to use a depth mic compensating for my block to measure my pinion
depth. Pressing the carrier bearings on and off is not too much of a problem
(other than "eating" the shims) as I have a 20 ton press. I'm still a little
confused though with the statement "After you have a workable pattern, you
can spread the case and add equal shims to each side to obtain preload."
wouldn't this add .0025 to the gear endplay and alter the pattern? Thanks
for wishing me the best. More often then not I don't have the money to do it
right and am too stubborn to quit. The end result is I get mildly
satisfactory results with a maximum of effort. I've done this so long I'm
not sure I know any other way.  Tom Witt