RE:Rearend Setup? HELP

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:Rearend Setup? HELP
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 13:15:43 -0700
Thanks Steve,

 Yes, I did know what he meant. The manual shows an option to press on the
top of the case with a hydraulic press (the picture shows cushioning with
wood blocks) to spread the case. If anyone would advise against this
optional Rootes recommended method of pressing the case top to botton to get
the spread PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Before I bought the press from my neighbor
the other day I had built a spreader from heavy flat stock, the three pieces
being perpendicular to each other (forming a square letter U). I used grade
8 bolt at the meeting points and then part way down on each parallel piece I
mounted bolts with rounded heads to go into the case spread holes on the
rearend. Once installed I was going to apply pressure on the open ends (I
have a 10 ton ram for body/frame work) to spead the case.  By the way I do
have a dial indicator to measure the spread. I am equiped to use either
method, if anyone has an opinion as to which to use I am willing to listen.
But hurry, if it wasn't "So.California Cold" (that would be anything below
68) I would be getting it done today.  Tom Witt