Re: Cleaning out the hydraulics

To: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning out the hydraulics
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 09:13:27 -0500
Hi Dan.  I tried to use DOT 5 years ago in another car, and found out
that unless you get all of the old fluid out, you will have spongy
brakes.  The only way I know to do this is to disassemble all brake
parts to insure that there are no low or high spots that retain the old
fluid.

Of course, this would also give you a chance to rebuild the brake
system, which is not a bad idea on an old car.  If you have rebuilt a
part of the system recently, then you should be able to use the seals again.

Brakes are sometimes the most neglected part of the car, and lots of
people will spend $100's of dollars on chrome, engine mods, and forget
the brakes.