RE: Please help :-)

To: "'derekw@zamnet.zm'" <derekw@zamnet.zm>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Please help :-)
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 01:04:07 -0600
Derek,
I have seen your post on the springs twice now so here it is.
You need to check the specs for the cam in the catalogue and then compare it
to the specs of the springs. It is important to test the springs for
adequate pressure and have that pressure even for all of the springs to
insure equal valve seat pressure. This is done by testing the springs on a
valve spring compressor and checking the installed height and shimming the
springs accordingly. If the springs test out great.
As an off the cuff suggestion I think the 268 Cam is relatively tame with
under .540 lift and I suspect that the Edelbrock springs will be fine if
they are new but I would test them anyway to ensure even seat pressure.
Regards,
Tim

                Question

                2) I am starting to build my engine (1969 302) and would
like some advice on
                valve springs. Should I use the springs which came with the
Performer RPM
                heads or the Comp Cams 942-16 set I have. Cam is Comp Cams
268 and car will
                be mostly fast road use (occasional track day.)

                thanks, Derek

                Derek White