Washless Comments

Subject: Washless Comments
From: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:49:04 -0800
Hello Everyone:
Thanks for all the suggestions on my dissapeared windshield washer line.
The consnesus is to pull the hose all the way back into the passenger
compartment, take a piece of wire or coat hanger, feed it through the
holes in the passenger compartment and on the firewall, attach the end
of the washer line to the wire and pull it through. I'll be attempting
this in the morning and will report the results back to the list.

Here's a transmission question for the list. I have my new motor and 5
speed (rebuilt) transmission installed. 5th speed is great going down
the freeway at 70 at 2000-2100 RPM. There's plenty of torque to
accelerate way up beyond that in 5th, for normal passing, with 4th
reserved for embarrasing the lesser cars (everything other than
Sunbeams) on the road. My bliss has been somewhat interrupted, though,
by a noise and I need some more advice.

In 5th, while under a load (pedal on the gas), there is a rythmic
rrrrr.......rrrrrr........rrrrrr.......rrrrr noise. The noise runs for
three seconds or so, takes a second or so break, runs three seconds or
so, takes a second brake, etc. etc. It is exactly speed sensitive.  At
slower speeds it's not as fast or as loud and as speed increases, the
intervals between the noise shorten and the volume (vibration??)
increases. This is not a very loud noise or buzz, but now that the car
is so relatively quiet at speed with the low RPMs, its definitely there.
When I take my foot off the gas and coast, the noise instantly
dissapears. Pedal down again, and the noise instantly returns. This only
happens in 5th, not any other gear.

I mentioned this to the shop that did my installation and they said they
think the transmission needs a balance weight or "damper" (it's a Ford
Mustang case with a Chevy S-10 tailhousing), that they've heard of this
happening. (Maybe I'm being punished by Lord Rootes for combining Ford
and Chevy parts!). The tailhousing has an extension piece directly below
it that has a hole drilled through it. My mechanics say this is where a
sound or vibration damper would go(a stand alone piece with rubber to
absorb vibration). However, the transmission shop that built the unit
says that this peice is used for a "torque arm", also intended to stop
harmonic noises (?) (from the trans to the rear axle) on Chevy
trucks?????. They showed me a later style Chevy tailhousing that has
four bolt holes on the body itself, not below, (that mine doesn't have)
that they say are for a damper as I described.  However, the
transmission shop manager who took a ride in the Tiger today says that
he's sold hundreds of hybred transmissions and this is a new one on him,
that he's never had this complaint before. That being said, he
definitley hears the noise as I do and says he thinks it's possible that
either the 5th gear in my rebuilt trans is defective, or the shaft it
rides on might have a slight defect or bend.  He'll be happy to fix it
or exchange it if I want if I determine that's the case.I sure hope it
isn't.

I  hope that instead of having to pull the transmission again that I've
got a drive shaft that's out of balance (this was custom made by a drive
line shop) , or the trans. is "vibrating" and there's an external
solution, or something like that. Has anyone else experienced anything
like this? How do you check for where the vibration or noise is coming
from? I was thinking maybe a dyno shop would be a good candidate since
the car could be run in place at "speed". Is there a dyno shop in the
San Fernando Valley?

I'll stop asking questions now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve Sage