RE: inquiry 121200b

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: inquiry 121200b
From: "Smit, Theo" <theo.smit@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:52:46 -0800
On second thought, consider the following:

A decent normally-aspirated Ford crate motor (or any other rollerized,
aluminum-head 302) can easily push 400 hp. It also weighs about 75 lbs less
than the original 260. Put an aluminum rad in front of it, and some decent
front suspension components to further improve the weight distribution and
handling, and I bet that mr. Turbo Miata would lose on all counts except
perhaps aerodynamic drag and braking.
Adding an intercooled turbo to an engine represents a minimum 50 lb penalty
on the front end, and the Miata is no lightweight to begin with. Off boost,
turbo engines suck (pardon the expression), so in any kind of road-course or
autocross environment you're continuously left-foot-braking to keep the
boost up, or else you have to try and predict exactly when the boost will
hit as you exit the turns. Been there, done that...

Theo