Re: RE; Panhard Rod (more ?)

To: theo.smit@intel.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE; Panhard Rod (more ?)
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:59:15 EST
In a message dated 12/19/2000 1:35:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
theo.smit@intel.com writes:

<< I realize that Rootes' motivation for installing the Panhard bar was to
 mitigate axle tramp, but I don't really see how a Panhard bar would help
 that problem (which is caused by leaf spring windup, not lateral
 deflection), except that it helps to keep the lateral load on the spring
 bushings and shackles to within reasonable limits.  >>

I also don't know why on earth a Panhard bar would be seen as a cure for axle
tramp, but that's what it says in Mike Taylor's book. Maybe another
inaccuracy in what is, mostly, a very entertaining and informative read. I
was always under the impression that the Panhard bar was installed to
position the axle laterally.
I also seem to recall that the SCCA B-prod cars of the '60's ran w/o Panhard
bar, as, with stock location/angle, it caused significant rear steer
characteristics.
The question I have is, wouldn't it make sense to run a correctly configured
Panhard bar with a torque arm? The torque arm, if it has a single point of
contact up front, shouldn't help with lateral location, right?
Mike