Gauge trivia

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gauge trivia
From: "Brian Moss" <BLMoss@Prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:22:21 -0500
Listers,

On nights like this, when 22k BTUs worth of portable heaters can't bring the
temp in the garage to a workable level, I drag small stuff inside.  I'm
working my way through 598's functional but aged gauges this week.  I've
read several good general pieces on disassembly and inspection, but I can't
seem to find a few small pieces of info that I'm hoping you can provide:

The type font for the "8" in "4 CYL negative earth" on my 7k Alpine tach
(the 4 has been removed and I might as well replace it with an 8).

The proper flourescent red/orange for the speedo pointer

The proper paint/coating for the outside of the speedo and tach housings.
Looks like it could have been zinc chromate, almost . . . . or it could be
old BRG overspray (painting the car with the gauges in place?).  Or, on the
other hand, they might have been uncoated, and I'm just looking at a really
FABULOUS patina.

Thanks,

Brian