Valve lash

To: jamesbrt@mindspring.com
Subject: Valve lash
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:23:45 -0600
James,
I read you lashing procedure and for what it is worth I have always lashed
my valves twice once cold to ensure none rattle after firing and then after
warm do it running the "zero" lash method where you loosen each rocker until
it "clacks". Then tighten down until the clacking until it just stops and go
an addition 1/8 to < of a turn and then repeat for each valve. The only
caution is that you now lose the hydraulic "rev" control where the lifters
pump up and hold valves open limiting engine speed. The issue is that with
the valves zero lashed if you rev at high RPM in the range of valve float
you will be beating your cam and potentially hitting a piston with a valve.
Every performance engine I have ever built regardless of brand has been
"zero" lashed if it had adjustable rockers and a Hydraulic cam with
excellent success.
Regards,
Tim Ronak