Re: Mountain Air?

To: DJoh797014@aol.com, "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mountain Air?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:57:46 -0800
DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:

> Obviously this Morris Garage driver was not using
> his sporting car in competition.  As any driver would
> tell you, it was ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE you send
> your man servant out obtain mountain air for your
> tyres.  Preferably air from above 3000 feet.  This
> would help insure its purity. Such air greatly improved
> the handling.  Factory air was usually full or smoke
> and other impurities from the lower altitude.
>
> Dave Johnson, B382002668, Aurora, IL  (600' above sea level)

Dave,

While at the TU at Big Bear the elevation was about 6,000 ft.  The car
would barely run on that "pure mountain air", and those of us who bought
gas at the no-name gas station were in even worse shape, from it's poor
quality, for weeks of tank-ups to get rid of it (along with some Red
Line).

As to the "pure mountain air" we put in our tires.  The sea level air,
put in by the beautiful shores of Malibu Beach, it seemed to flow out of
the tires and into the compressor at the station until the tires were
flat.  When it finally gave us some "pure mountain air" we went on a
hair raising rally and an Auto-X.  When we got home, the tires were
nearly flat, as all that low pressure mountain air was at such a low
pressure from the initial height that it could no longer keep the tires
filled.

In fact, we bled it all out, along with about 1 quart of "pure mountain
water" that seemed to have accompanied it.  Kind of brown, it was.

Put in some "pure, dry Malibu Surfing and Scuba Tank Air" (at $0.75 per
every 10 psig) and increased acceleration by 30%, top speed endurance by
30 mph, and ride/handling went up to 1.5 g lateral on the skid pad.

So, if you ain't got the numbers, don't do the fireside racing.   {9->

All in good fun.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/