Re: Electric Fan Wiring

To: meswarb@hotmail.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Fan Wiring
From: Lbatman4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 05:00:55 EST
In a message dated 03/11/01 9:33:21 PM, meswarb@hotmail.com writes:

<< The thermostatic switch I'm using is designed to be tie-wrapped to the
upper
radiator hose.  I intend to tie-wrap it to the lower hose at the radiator
water neck.  I want a low profile installation. >>

If you put it in the lower (cool) radiator hose, it will never turn the fan
on even if the top of the radiator gets to 230. If you put it in the top
radiator hose and are down on coolant it will not sense how hot the radiator
is either. That is why, on most vehicles with electric fans, they have sensor
about 4"-6" down in side radiator tank. If you had a crossflow radiator, you
could solder (or have soldered) a fitting into the tank. I would use a
threaded in type sensor. Other possibility is to get a section of large
copper tubing (house plumbing stuff) and solder a fitting for the sensor in
it, and then splice it into your top radiator hose as low as possible, with
the sensor on the bottom. Be sure to tie the wiring so as not to contact
moving or hot parts.
Larry in Wisconsin
Retire Automotive Technology Instructor