RE: Electric Fan Wiring

To: <TIGEROOTES@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electric Fan Wiring
From: "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@home.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:00:56 -0800
Mark, et al:

When I installed the pusher fan in my car (since removed,) I installed the
combination of a manual switch and the thermostatic switch.  This worked
just fine.  Make sure you also have it fused as Jim suggested and the higher
end units also come with a relay, which should be used.  Jim is also dead-on
concerning his hot wire location at the solenoid as long as you have it
fused in-line....most of these fans (Hayden especially,) come equipped with
an in-line fuse.

BTW, the reason I removed the electric fan in my beast is that I got the
"cooling" problems under control with the investment of some time and
materials, which all told cost me about $250.00. (Note that I paid over $100
for the Hayden fan that now sits on the shelf.)   Simply, a Ford six-blade
"Canadian" fan trimmed to fit the rack (Jc has also recommended a similar
fan from Volvo that is plastic and bolts right on with no modification,)
updated four-row Modine "H" radiator core and a stock Tiger fan shroud.
Frankly, I am pleased with this set-up, as the car stays quite cool, even
when idling for a time.  This is fairly impressive because when I first went
after this problem several years ago, many doubted I would be able to get
the car to run cooler as it is the original 260, bored 30 over.

(I know Steve, I know.....I need to get to my editing!)

Regards,

Allan