Faulty rocker panel welds

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Faulty rocker panel welds
From: H2Otor@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 00:46:39 EDT
When I had my sunbeam tigers body work and painting done the
restorer said that the spot welds on the lower side of both rocker
panels was not penetrated thru all the layers of the sheet metal. The
spot welder must have been set too low and the middle layer of
sheet metal was not even welded. It affected the total length of the
rocker panels. The top edge of the rocker panels where the multi
layer of sheet metal in the door opening was welded correctly with
complete penetration. These welds were done at the factory. The
restorer could not believe the lower rocker panel welds were done
in this manner. I always noticed a lot of cowl shake on the car but
I thought this was normal from reading articles on tiger habits. After
I got the car back the body was noticeable stiffer. If any other tiger
owners with a serial number close to mine you might want to check
and see if you have this problem. # B9470515
John Watertor