conv top/window

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: conv top/window
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 17:29:26 -0400
Hi Group.  I am at a standstill on aligning the conv top to the side
windows.  Everything has started from ground zero, with a new
windshield, which was installed, and the rake angle was adjusted with
Tom Hall's adjusting nut, available from Rick at SS.  Worth the $15,
BTW.

Fixed quarter window was installed, along with window mechanism, and new
felt runners in the front and rear window channels.  Windshield was
aligned with the quarter window, quarter window aligned in and out, to
match the conv top frame, window stops set on horizontal channel of
bottom of window, rear 4 bolts adjusted to make the top of the window
parallel with the conv top frame, and window cranks freely.

The problem is that when the window is rolled up it moves towards the
front when fully up, and does not seal at the rear vertical edge of the
conv top frame.

If the window is up 7/8 or less, then the window can be moved to the
rear, so that the rear vertical edge aligns perfectly with the conv top
seal, but again, when the last movement of the window goes up, it moves
forward in the front channel, and the gap appears at the rear edge of
the conv top vertical seal.

There is no more movement of the quarter window towards the rear, and I
have taken a die grinder ot give as much movement to the rear for the
quarter window.   BTW, the right side fits perfectly, it's the left side
that is askew.  I also made measurements fore and aft, and on the
diagonal on both sides, of the windshield, conv top frame, etc., and
they are within 1/16"-1/8", which for this car is good.

When it moves forward the last distant to the top, there is a gap at the
bottom of the seal on the rear portion of the vertical  seal to the conv
top.  I know this will leak water, and this in not acceptable.

I have received only one suggestion of help from Dave, which I
previously tried, but thanks again Dave.

Group, someone has been there before, and I would appreciate help on
this, one of the final details.  I have spent 4 weekends on this and
still no solution, including the body mans look see.

Thanks

Larry