Re: Welding

To: <SFordRB@aol.com>, <sixtysixtiger@hotmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:35:54 -0700
I think you both are saying about the same thing in result.  But after taking
on a real ruster (upside down, no rotisserie) with zero welding experience,
I'd recommend what all the welding books say (being stubborn, I read them six
months in).  Get a bunch of scrap and practice until you're really competent
at laying a good flat bead (doesn't take long).  At that point, with the
lowest heat for a given gauge of metal, you can put in quick 3/4 to1 inch
sections that don't distort at all.  Obviously, distancing each section from
the last one welded is advantageous for heat control.  This will give a much
stronger joint than alot of little dots that may not penetrate nor fuse as
well with each other and will be easier to grind.

               Chris Hill