Re: Welding

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding
From: "Cullen Bennett" <r51465@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:09:52 -0700
>From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
>Subject: Welding

Stu,
You already have had a lot of very accurate and good info on the MIG
wire feed welders. I now have a 220V Lincoln unit that works very
nicely. Previously, I had a small 110V version (some off brand) that
also worked very nicely on sheet metal. My son ended up with it, and I
wish I had it back on occasion. The larger units work great on heavier
stuff, but are almost too much for sheet metal. I'ts real easy to burn
through your work with them whereas the smaller units had to be cranked
up to burn through. So, estimate the type of work you will be doing and
buy accordingly. I have found that CO2 works for just about any ferrous
material and the other more exotic mixtures are more for "specialty"
welding where depth of weld penetration is important. CO2 is the
cheapest of all the inert gasses and easiest to find. The gas definitely
gives a nicer weld and doesn't tend to set your clothes on fire from the
flux splatter that you get from the flux wire. If you're making fence
gates and don't want to haul a bottle around, the flux is OK, but for
just a little inconvenience, the gas gives a much better job. Remember
to reverse the electrode polarity between flux and gas setups. I would
definitely recommend getting one of the automatic dimming face shields.
It improved my work considerably by being able to see where that first
contact was made. Just my opinions.
Cullen (B9472658)
Tempe, Az (clear and 112 degrees).