RE: considering purchase

To: "Peter Ritchie" <iinsic@msn.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: considering purchase
From: "Chris Thompson" <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:24:22 -0400
$15K might be a bit high for a competitive price. I paid $20K for my '66
about 4 years ago, and it was about as perfect a restoration as I've seen,
and it is concours original.   The folks who hauled it across country (along
with a 54 Talbot!) said they had never heard of a Tiger going for that high
of a price.   I had a few things to sort out, of course, but it has been a
100% reliable driver for the past three and a half years.  The dash is not a
big deal, nor are most of the chrome bits, but you'll want to look
considerably deeper.

The first thing to do is find someone who knows Tigers in your local area
who can look at it with you.  Besides making sure that it isn't an Alpine in
Tiger clothing, they can help tell you what might be needed, what parts are
made of unobtanium, and give you a more reasoned guess as to the value.
What part of the world are you in, Peter?

But a Tiger is a really good deal at the prices they are being offered at.
I'm in the market for a Jaguar E-type right now, and believe me, you get a
lot more car for your money with a Tiger, and it is much rarer to boot.
Hemmings a couple years ago rated it in the top ten of the most undervalued
collector cars.

And besides, what price passion, eh?

My dos centavos....others on the list will probably give you much more sage
advice....you're new to the list, but you'll meet Mr. Laifman very soon ;-)

Chris Thompson
B382000331