Re: Welding

To: "Brent Edinger" <banana111@msn.com>, "tigers"
Subject: Re: Welding
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:27:07 -0700
     I did alot of it ;  sideways in awkward positions is fun too.  The only
thing I learned is that you can perfect the technique you mentioned by very
strict attention to puddle color.  When you key to a color that matches with a
relatively small but well penetrated and non-sagging weld and shut off
promptly, you've got it made.  Not really much slower than right side up when
you consider the warping limitations imposed by thin sheet metal (discussed
here recently).
     But I have to say that your mistake ratio will still likely be lots
higher.  The discomfort of holding your hands over you and the edginess of
having molten metal above you don't do much for accuracy.  Unless it's simply
not feasible, a rotisserie, box frame, or lateral tilt-up are more than worth
the time and expense involved.  Check the archives or T.U. website for more on
that.
                                            Chris Hill