Re: shifter

To: fry5@mindspring.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shifter
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 08:38:13 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/01 10:11:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
fry5@mindspring.com writes:

> My reverse lock out lever broke in two.  The cable seems ok.  I have
>  thought about making a new lever out of brass or replacing it with a Hurst
>  shifter.  Do they still make a Hurst for the toploader.
>
>  Any ideas will be appreciated.

The shifter reverse lock out bar is replaceable.  There is a cable that runs
through a hole in the cross bar and is connected to the pivoting arm in the
bottom of the shift lever.  The cable is brazed to the bottom of the shifter
and it has to be undone by heat.  When you repair it you can either rebraze
it or you can drill and tap an allen stud to lock it in place.  Sunbeam
Specialities used to sell a replacement cross bar.

Alternatively, you can switch to a Hurst shifter.  That's what I did.  The
shifter mechanism is much better designed and relies on threaded nuts to lock
the rods in place.  The shifting is much more positive (although reverse is
still a little finicky). The threaded rod on the top is a different dia than
the Tiger you so can't use the original shifter knob without modificaition.

Dan Walters use to sell them, should be available.

Rob Kempinski
Melbourne FL