Cartest 2000 Software...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cartest 2000 Software...
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:53:51 -0700
Well, folk, I am getting around to providing the Cartest Software inputs as
I indicated I would do. First, let me say that it is a fun program! Pat
sells it for 50 bucks. He can customize the cars in the background with
pictures from land speed racing so it'll have the look and feel of our
sport. As of right now there are 1238 vehicles in the data base. So everyone
shold find something close to what they are racing, except for the
roadsters, streamliners and lakesters. But it is not hard to add cars with
specific parameters. When you launch the program the opening screen has the
initial selection list. Since my race car, if it ever gets finished, is
based on the Sunbeal Tiger/Alpine, I selected it,  renamed it and then saved
it as Mayf's Salt Racer. There are two input screens: one is for the generic
car model, if you just want to fuddle around with it that way. But me, I
went to the car specific input screen and did my data entry: Here is what is
on that screen:
1) Weight of Driver (lbs)
2) Weight of fuel (lbs)
3) Air Temperature (deg F)
4) Barometric Presure (inches of Hg)
5) Relative Humidity (%)
6) Elevation (ft)
7) Headwind (+), or Tailwind (-)
8) Road Grade  (+/-) (%)
9) Shift Time manual (sec)
10) Shift Time, auto (sec)
11) Engage time, manual (sec)
12) Engage time, auto (sec)
13) Clutch slip max time(sec)
14) Brake release time (sec)
15) Trans engage method (choices)
16) When to shift (choices)
17 Engine free decel rate (rpm/sec)
18) Engine bog down decel rate (rpm/sec)
19) Engine wheelspin decel rate, manual (rpm/sec)
20) Engine clutch decel rate (rpm/sec)
21) Engine trans slip rate (rpm/sec)
22) Engine wheelspin accel rate (rpm/sec)
23) Coef of static friction                                     <<<<<don't
know if this is track surface or ?
24) Coef or Kinetic friction                                  <<<<<ditto
25) Coef of Rolling resistance                              <<<<< need a
good model of salt surface and mud flat surfaces
26) Tire expansion factor (%/mph)
27 Hot tire pressure (psi)
28) Tire Tread/Section Width ratio
29)Wheel and tire weight (lbs)
30) Minimum engine speed (rpm)
31) Zero Horsepower engine speed (rpm)
32) Single Turbo start speed (rpm)                       <<<<<not exactly
sure what this is, especially if input HP by rpm
33) Max torque converter slack until (rpm)
34) Low max brake torque speed (rpm)
35) Time increments (sec)
36) Start time after car moves (ft)
37) Effective engine radius (in)
38) Drive shaft radius (in)
39) Center of gravity from bottom (in)
40) Mech Losses, auxiliaries (%)
41) Mech losses, manual (%)
42) Mech losses, auto (%)
43) Mech losses, axles and shafts (%)
44) Mech losses, torque conveter (%)
45) Max clutch slip losses, manual (%)
46) Max trans slip losses, auto (%)
47) Max torque converter Mult (%)
48) Custom Power Curve Use (choices)
49) Max driving wheels HP (bhp)
<<<<<not sure what this is if HP input by rpm
50) Max driving wheels torque (ft-lbs)
<<<<< ditto
51) Forty inputs of Horse Power in 500 rpm increments (500rpm through
20,000rpm)
52) 1-2 shift (rpm)
53) 2-3 shift (rpm)
54) 3-4 shift (rpm)
55) 4-5 shift (rpm)
56) 5-6 shift (rpm)
57) Lateral Acceleration (g's)
<<<<<useful for spin outs (grin)

On the first page of car specs, there are other parameters to enter:
58) Engine displacement (cc)
59) Motor location (choices)
60) Type (choices, ie twin turbo,,,,)
61) Another horsepower input (hp)
<<<<< not sure if needed if HP input by rpm
62) HP max at rpm(rpm)
<<<<<<ditto
63) Another torque input (ft-lbs)
<<<<<ditto
64) Torque max at rpm (rpm)
<<<<<ditto
65) Compression ratio
66) redline (rpm)
67) Launch speed (rpm)
68) Launch Clutch Mode (choices)
69) Transmission (choices)
70) Number of gears (choices)
71) Gear Ratio 1st
72) Gear Ratio 2nd
73) Gear Ratio 3rd
74) Gear Ratio 4th
75) Gear Ratio 5th
76) Gear Ratio 6th
77) Final Drive Ratio
78) Driving Wheels (choices)
79) Curb weight (lbs)
80) Weight on front wheels (%)
81) Wheel base (inches)
82) Tire Section Width (mm)
83) Tire circumference opt (ft)
84) Wheel dia (inches)
85) Tire profile (%)
86) Coefficient of drag
87) Frontal area (opt) (sq ft)
88) Overall height (inches)
89) Overall width (inches)
90)Ground Clearance (inches)

When you get all this stuff entered you can do analyses:
91) Standing start acceleration
92) Rolling start acceleration

and show other things such as:
93) Torque curve
94) Fuel Economy
95) Power loss curves
96) Skidpad                                       <<<<< helpful on spinouts
(grin)
97) Drive Power curves
98) Slalom                                          <<<<<ditto above
99) Speed in gears
100) Parameter sensitivity

When you clickon one of the buttons (91 - 100) it jumps to that screen. #91
is the one I have used the most. When clicked, you get a virtual dashboard
with speedometer and tach. When you launch it tells you lots of info but for
us, the mostly important is top speed and how far it takes to reach that
speed, as well as time. The graphs have cursors so you can select point on
the curves and get specific data points.

Now, lemme see, if I lower the Cd to 0.03, boost the HP to near infinite, I
can reach Mach 3......

Seriously let me know what factors or parameters that could be included to
meet your specific needs. I'll pass those along to Pat and see what he can
do for us. If you want to purchase the software. I get nothiong out of this
deal except maybe the chance to purchase the next software that has
everything we need in it. Right now, I can see that the number of wheels
needs to be input as well as to how many are driving. Separation of the
wheels into front and rear with different sizes also needs to be done (lets
us have different rolling loads through different tire sizes).

mayf, the rednecked ignorant desert rat in Pahrump