First Crisis - Part 4

To: "Tigers List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: First Crisis - Part 4
From: "Shaun Laughy" <shaunl@home.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:49:04 -0700
Just a quick update:

I took the tanks down to the rad shop and was immediately quoted a lower price
when they understood that both came from the same vehicle and that they
essentially made up one weird-shaped tank.  So, they are treating it as 1 1/2
tanks and including the 3-piece balance tube in the price.  I decided to go
ahead with it as we were able to see inside the tank with their bright lights
and I could clearly see the surface with some corrosion on it.  Not bad,
really, but I feel better dealing with the tanks now that they are out and do
not want to repeat the process in a few years.  Probably could have done this
for less, but I am willing to pay a little more to ensure that I don't have a
problem in future.  Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, though.

The process that they use involves boiling the tanks, putting in an acid
solution to remove all rust, using an etching substance to prepare the metal,
and then applying a plastic coating to the inside of the tank.  I saw a tank
there that they were just completing and it looked great with a nice black
paint on the outside and a purple-ish plastic coating on the inside.  The
folks who worked there were very helpful in spite of being extremely busy and
they took the time to immediately remove the sender for me so that I could
take it away.  They understood the value of the sender and didn't want to take
a chance of damaging it.  I should get the tanks back near the end of the week
and I'll post a follow-up.

Thanks, again, for all your help and suggestions!

Shaun