Re: Jack Needed!

To: SJC Worldwide <ssage@SoCal.RR.com>
Subject: Re: Jack Needed!
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:43:35 -0700
Unfortunately,

Scissors jacks have a very narrow footprint, and can bear no side load
at all, they just pivot over. The original jack would fail for similar
reasons, a tipping force from non level surfaces, angles, etc. causing a
twisting off of the jack stop.

Both are dangerous, but at least there is some resistance to tipping by
the strength of the stock chassis insert.

The Jaguar and Porsche used similar designs, only from the center side
of the car, and I've used them successfully. I was lucky I was on level
ground, so I never found out if they would twist.

A "shorty" model hydraulic floor jack is available that spreads the load
over a wider footprint, needs less energy, but must be able to roll -
and may be a better solution. A hydraulic bottle jack us easier to raise
than a scissors, but still has that alignment issue, and a small
footprint to resist tipping.

Call the Auto Club!

My $.02 of experience with them all.
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/