Re: Phhhhht!!!

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: Re: Phhhhht!!!
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:59:12 -0700
"Ronak, TP (Timothy)" wrote:

> Steve,
> Damn!!!! I was in Ventura on Saturday and left at 1:00PM. I helped a buddy
> move from Texas to Ventura and we arrived on Saturday. I can't believe I
> missed it ...I was just too busy to check email.
> With regards to the Pertronix Death have the Ballast resistor in place as it
> is necessary or it will fry your module.(as I understand it). Also is it
> possible that the voltage regulator is causing fluctuations?
> Just some thoughts.
> Best regards,
> Tim
> I can't believe I missed it.

Hello Tim:
Yeah, it was a very good meet.

As to the Pertronix, I'm also using their "Flamethrower II" coil which they say
is supposed to be run without the ballast resistor, as the resistor lessens the
power the coil can pass to the ignition and partially defeats the purpose of it.
When I exchanged the unit at Pertronix, the tech manager confirmed this is how
they're supposed to run, and also said they (the Ignitor II, which I'm running)
can take up to 17 volts continuous power with no problem. There seems to be
between 13-14 volts continuous going to the unit (I'm not sure why it's not just
12 volts, but I tested it with two different meters and got the same readings) .
As to the voltage, I've got a single wire alternator installed with an internal
regulator so I wonder if it is a possibility a "spike" did melt a solder inside
the Pertronix.

I've got the replacement unit back in today and hopefully it will stay running
indefinitely. I did change the wiring connections, though, so that if I have to
change back to points, the resistor and the old coil again, I should be able to
do it in a few minutes. I hope I don't have to.

One interesting side note is that when I re-installed the points set up, it ran
pretty well but was very, very difficult to start when warm. I think it's
because I'd installed new plugs and gapped them at .045 when I did the
Pertronix. Sure enough, with the Pertonix back in, it starts right up, hot or
cold.

Steve Sage