Fw: Jack be nimble

To: "List Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Jack be nimble
From: "Charlton" <charlton@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:07:03 -0500
Mine has a remote lock/alarm system.  It's got a great Bond-girl voice that
says, "System armed!" when you push the remote button. It features a motion
detector of the usual variety plus one that detects motion inside the
vehicle, so if you reach down in below the dash level, the detector above
the pedals will set off the alarm.

The car also has a disconnect on the battery that unscrews the cable from
the terminal.

The PO of my car put the stereo in the glove box hole (vinyl covered dash
makes this pretty easy), but if I was doing a new installation I'd find one
with a very small head unit and put it under the dash, with an amplifier
under the passenger seat.  Speakers are another matter.  Mine are 5" units
under the dash, but there's not much room and they really sound crappy.
I've got a Mk I with the metal tonneau and could theoretically cut holes in
the front of the main panel, but I won't.  Perhaps making a box to sit
behind the seats would be best for good sound.

Another idea I've toyed with is to change my A/C condenser to a smaller unit
(Miata-sized?) and build a console around it, with room for a stereo head
unit and speakers in the sides.  The A/C would take up less room this way
too -- right now the passenger's knee is likely to be resting on the
period-correct (?) aftermarket type A/C box.
Duncan
B9473116