Re: Temps

To: Radialman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Temps
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:26:03 -0600
Jeff,
Don't get too hung up on what the gauge actually says, until you've verified
the following:
1. With the engine running, the positive connection to the temp and fuel gauges
is about 10 volts (i.e. not 12, or whatever the charging system is putting out,
and not zero). If it's substantially higher than 10 volts, then
your instrument voltage regulator (called a "stabilizer" in Rootes lingo) is
wired incorrectly or broken. If the voltage there is zero, ditto, but since you
say it gets "warm" I assume the needle is moving.
2. You have the right sender in the intake manifold. That's harder to verify,
but perhaps someone can dig out the right number that should be stamped into
the side of the sender?
3. You have a working thermostat installed.
4. You have a new(ish) 13 psi rad cap on the expansion tank.
5. Have the coolant level a little below the expansion tank opening's "fill
bar".

Then, the only thing that matters is that it doesn't puke coolant out the
expansion tank overflow while you're driving and when you park it. Ford
smallblocks like to run 190 degrees F or above, you'll get better bore life.

If you have problems, get the rad boiled out or recored. The Tigers United
website has information on good high-efficiency cores that can be installed
while preserving the stock tanks and mounts. Make sure that your fan
shroud seals well around the edges. If possible get the 6 blade "Canadian" fan
and/or install an electric pusher fan in front of the rad to help out on the
tough days. The TEAE website has a wealth of details on temperature
testing and what gives you the best bang for the buck in improving the cooling
system.

There are tons of holes in the firewall, and most of them should be plugged
with grommets. The heater water gets supplied through two 1" diameter holes - I
doubt that they are your worst air leak from the engine compartment
to the passenger space, but in any event, that would hardly make a big
difference to the amount of air flow that the transmission gets.

Theo