Timing vs temp

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing vs temp
From: Curtis Fisher <Curtis.Fisher@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 22:00:32 -0700
When the new 5.0 was installed it ran tight and warm.  I did not have an
engine fan or shroud, just an electric fan on the radiator front.  Only
needed the electric fan in stop and go traffic.  However, it was pretty
marginal on warm days the gauge would move from 190-215's.  The electric
fan would bring it under 200.  I decided to put the engine fan and shroud
back on and it works as good as ever, locking on 190 and not rising except
a little on the hottest day in traffic, maybe up to 195.
I was having carbureter work done and they said the base timing was too
high, 16 degrees. I know the Motorsport sticker said 10 degrees BTDC and I
had tried that but it ran much better at 14-16 advance, where I left it.
No problem starting, not a factor.  On advice of the carbureter shop I
reset it to 10 degrees advance.  Not only does it run worse, it runs
hotter, in the 195-200 range.  I called Motorsport and the tech suggested
16 was where he always sets his.  Back to 16, no problems, better cooling,
better running.
Finally, the question.  Why do manufacturers put retarded timing specs on
their motors when they run so much better with more advance?  And why does
6 degrees make that much difference in cooling?
The new 5.0 and Tremec run great.  I'll have an article for the TU website
soon.
Curtis
B9470844