Re: Time This

To: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Time This
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 20:23:50 -0600
Steve,
I just replaced my Mallory Unilite mechanical-only distributor with a
somewhat modified Ford unit. I started with a standard points distributor,
with mechanical and vacuum advance, then substituted a reluctor
(magnetic-sensor) upper shaft and sensor plate, and I modified the advance
plate to give a maximum of about 12 or 13 distributor degrees of advance
(i.e. 24-26 degrees at the crankshaft). This lets me set the initial timing
at 12 degrees or so, and keeps the total advance reasonable at 36 or 38
degrees. The vacuum advance will give a little better mileage at light-load
cruising. I wired the magnetic sensor straight to the MSD-6AL inputs, and
I'm using the Duraspark (large) cap and rotor assembly. Since I've done
this, I no longer get pinging under acceleration (and I used to with the
Unilite distributor).

One thing I never did with the Unilite (my bad) was to check the timing, but
with the MSD, I figured I'd do everything at once. I pulled the #1 plug, and
installed a piston stop, and used it to verify the TDC mark on the damper
(it was pretty much bang on). Having done that, I installed a Mr. Gasket
timing tape, and then setting the timing was a piece of cake. By the way,
doing this stuff with the radiator removed gives you a lot of extra room to
work...

If you go this route (or if you figure that your TDC mark is good) you can
first set the engine to TDC, then pick any place where the damper is clearly
visible, use a nearby timing chain cover bolt to attach a sheetmetal
pointer, and then index your timing tape to it. Just make sure if you ever
take it to a mechanic, that he knows about that.

Crossfiring sounds nothing like pinging, so it wasn't your cap.

Good luck!
Theo