RE: oil leak answers

To: "Scott Minton" <sminton2000@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: oil leak answers
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:44:11 -0700
Scott,

No one seems to have replied to your question about oil pressure. The 60 psi
cold sounds about right for a stock oil pump, although I haven't had a stock
oil pump in my Tiger since 1976, so my memory may be a little hazy. The
20-40 psi hot operating range is on the low side, but probably OK for
moderate driving. I have heard the rule that you need 10 psi for ever 10k
rpm the engine turns. I use a TRW "High Volume" oil pump and it starts at
70-75 cold and drops to 60-65 hot at rpms over about 1,000 and not less than
40 psi between 500 and 1,000 rpm. It's pretty easy to drop the pan on a
Tiger so you could replace the oil pump if you are concerned. Get a "High
Volume", not a "High Pressure" oil pump, which is just the High Pressure
pump's little brother (both put out the same maximum pressure). To sum up,
the pressures you quote are reasonable and 60 psi is certainly not the
reason for your oil leak.

Bob