Re: csxb3054.jpg

To: "Adin,David" <DavidAdin@mercydurango.org>,
Subject: Re: csxb3054.jpg
From: "Dan" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:22:05 -0600
David,

    I'm no expert on Cobra by any means, but the car in the photo looks like
the Type 65 Cobra Le Mans. Peterson Publishing Co. published a book called,
Carroll Shelby's Racing Cobra, copyright 1986, that has a good write up on
this car and how it came about. The car in your photo, if it is the same as
the one in the book, was a project of Peter Brock. The car started life in
England, but was never finished and ended up in pieces moving from place to
place following all of Shelby's moves. A businessman from Colorado bought
the car back in 1979 and had it finished. The car was completed in early
1981. Mike Dopudja, in Englewood, Colorado did the restoration.

    There was almost a 427 coupe as well before the Type 65 came about. They
took a 427 chassis and lengthened it  to make room for the bigger engine.  A
body was built, but before it could be completed it was sidetracked to
replace another coupe that had been damaged in a transporter accident. The
427 was removed and the chassis returned to the original specs and a 289
installed. TOO BAD if you ask me.

The above information can be found in the book I mentioned. The book is a
paperback. Truthfully, I don't know if it was a book or a magazine. I still
have mine, which is where I am getting this information from.

Dan Eiland