Re: ww1 a/c

To: "Ray McCrary" <spook01@home.com>
Subject: Re: ww1 a/c
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 12:47:04 -0400
At 11:14 AM 9/5/01 -0500, Ray McCrary wrote:
>Nice try. The Smithsonian records indicate that the Liberty was the most
>produced WW 1 engine...water cooled.  So many were produced that they were
>common after the war used in everything from autos to boats.
>I cannot find a rotary that enjoyed that distinction.
>I note that virtually your entire list consists of the Sopwith designs.  I
>also note that you now say "most SMALLER WW1 a/c".....
>The Dutch designer Fokker (pronounced the way it is written) used several
>powerplants.
>I suppose I can check further if you like....I am sure the exact production
>numbers are available.

Liberty engines saw only very limited Wartime use, and most of the
production actually occurred after the Armistice.  During the War, the US
used Caudron G-IIIE and G-IVA (rotary engined), Farman F-40 (in-line),
Morane-Saulnier 30 E-1 (rotary) and MS-12 (rotary), Nieuport 10 (rotary),
Neiuport 17 (rotary), Nieuport 28 (rotary), B.E. 2E (in-line), F.E. 2B
(in-line), DH-4 (the only one with a Liberty, incidentally, and that only
in the final four months of the War), Sopwith Camel (rotary), Salmson 2A-2
(radial), Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (rotary), Spad VII and XIII (both
in-line), Spad IIA-2 and 16A-2 (both in-line), and Voison 8 and 10 (both
in-line).  Numerically, the largest procurement during hostilities was of
the Nieuport 28, though the largest single order was for the Spad XIII,
though most of these were delivered in early 1919.

The largest single manufacturer of rotary-engined aircraft was Nieuport, I
suspect, followed by Sopwith and Fokker.  ALL Fokker designs save for the
D-7 used Oberursel rotaries from the E-1 to the D-8.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!