Re: Reinstalling Fuel Tanks

To: Sencindiver Jim D NSSC <SencindiverJD@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Reinstalling Fuel Tanks
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 20:14:43 -0400
At 03:59 PM 9/5/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>After replacing my paint-flaking tanks with coated ones, I'm having some
>difficulty getting the last hose (between the crossover tube and the right
>side pipe) in a position to get clamped by the wire clamps.  Can anyone
>provide some helpful hints on how to reinstall the hoses?  Thanks in
>advance.
>
>Keep on Tigering!
>
>Jim Sencindiver, PMS411C6

Jim,
        I found that I had to have all of the clamps loose to
be able to push/pull the pipes until I could get the last chunk
of hose on.  Then the problem was getting all the hoses centered over
the "equally gapped" pipes and then trying to tighten the hose clamps
nearest to the tanks.  I also used plenty of WD-40 to lube the hoses
during installation.  Be aware that the pipes are very thin and if you
tighten a clamp too much when the pipes are NOT centered in the hoses
you can distort the end of the pipe.  After doing that and filling
the gas tanks, you have gallons of gas on the floor.
        Simply sliding a hose on flush with the end of
a pipe didn't work, because I couldn't slide the hose over
when it was in the cramped areas of the Tiger.
        I have worked on the cross over pipes/hoses 5 or 6 times
since I got the Tiger in 1969.  Finally solved the problem by
installing a Fuel Safe fuel cell and removing the saddle tanks
and micky-mouse cross over pipes.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others