Re: Reinstalling Fuel Tanks

To: "Sencindiver Jim D NSSC" <SencindiverJD@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Reinstalling Fuel Tanks
From: "Shaun Laughy" <shaunl@home.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 20:56:16 -0700
Hi, Jim.

When I did this recently, I left the tank loose on one side and used the
movement this afforded to assist in sliding the tank fitting into the last
rubber hose.  I suppose that you could do this with either tank, but it
would probably make more sense to work with the driver's side so you don't
have to worry about the filler neck at the same time.  The order I used was:

Passenger's tank (with filler)
Passenger's corner pipe
Center balance pipe
Driver's corner pipe
Driver's tank

I had tightened the hose on the driver's corner pipe (tank side), but left
the other end (main balance pipe side) loose to allow a twisting motion to
line up with the tank fitting.  Once in, I tightened up both remaining
clamps and everything worked fine.

I didn't have to use any lubricant and found that the balance pipe segments
ended up so close together that it was almost impossible to miss the pipe
with the clamps.

Hope this helps!

Shaun