Re: Tops

To: RGGAMMA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tops
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 07:58:00 -0700
Gunny,

Why is a hard top out of the question? They are available, and sold.
Many owner's only use their cars in good weather, and it just takes up
room in the garage. I store mine suspended from a pulley system above
the car.

Most parts are available, as are headliners, rubber, rear windows. Trim
should be sought with the top, as it is dear. Even replacement steel
pieces for rust repair are available, but not cheap.

There are even new fiberglass hard tops, similar to ones that were made
when Alpines and Tigers were new.

Over-all, for seasonal changes, nothing is as nice as a hard top. It
doesn't leak, done correctly, looks good, and doesn't have the short
life span of a soft top. Although my soft top is the original, I have
never used it, and am not sure it hasn't shrunk so much that it will not fit.

The best part about a hardtop is travel. When we go away for a weekend,
or so, our road trips are always made with the hard top on. It is much
quieter than top down, no buffeting, you can hear a radio, and you can
(with a tip to a bell person) get it taken to your motel room and
stacked against the wall for your top-down around town stay.

My opinion.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/