Re: Tops

To: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Subject: Re: Tops
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 11:21:04 -0700
Chris,

Thanks for the link to the EzTop hardtop hoist manufacturer. $350 for
the manual winch with electric tool attachment is 8 times what mine
cost, but seems very well built. Each unit is designed to fit a specific
car, as it clears the rubber side window to prevent compression, is the
correct width, and has a torque arm for the specific top. One needs to
be available designed for a Tiger, but was not listed.

One of my designs looks like theirs, and one simply has a single bar,
without the torque arm, as the top balances very nicely at the rear of
the side window location. It does compress the upper rubber seal, but
hasn't damaged it in 4 years, and replacing it is easy enough.

A winch, with an electric drill attachment (or crank) when I need to
operate it twice a year was available at Harbor Freight for $30. Not as
nice as theirs, of course. They use the proper winch type that cranks
both directions, and cannot be moved by load tension, as did I. Not sure
the name of this type, but there are no pawls on a ratchet wheel, but a
worm drive mechanism.

I'll stick to Home Depot, until my ship comes in.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/