Re: spraying Hammmerite Paint

To: <BlueGolfer@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spraying Hammmerite Paint
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:26:23 EDT
Rob,
I have used smooth finish Hammerite continually for at least 5 years, and as I
said in my first posting, it takes a different technique than you would use
with Rustolium or Krylon to get a good finish.  I have used it under 50 and
over 85 degrees, and the results have been supurb.  The first few times I
worked with it, I was very frustrated with its behavior: unless you are very
careful, it tends to run, or it tends to dry with an odd finish that is not
really flat or glossy, but might best be called glassy.  I do not have any
experience trying to bake it in an oven.
Someone replied that it is best to use it at 75 degrees.  Seattle rarely has
more than a few 75 degree days each year, but I still get excellent results.
There are a couple tricks I can suggest: be sure to shake the can LOTS. Heat
the can in a vessel of very warm water, long enough so the paint inside the can
matches the water temperature: this allows the paint to exit the can more
easily and helps keep the nozzle from clogging.  I apply one or two light
dusting coats, and then spray one single finish coat until I get the gloss I
want.  Just like directions to Carnagie Hall, I recommend the following:
practice, practice, practice.
Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club   Seattle