Re: Performer, F4B, Which Manifold?

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Performer, F4B, Which Manifold?
From: Rob Guerra <tiger351w@home.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:22:46 -0700
>Got an itch to go hunting on Ebay. With a STOCK 289 (well, it is proported
>to have the HI-PO 289 cam), close ratio trans (yes, someday I will get the
>wide ratios - Steve) and 2:88 gears which manifold "Performer" (not RPM) or
>'F4B" is best suited. Not only for the engine, but to fit under a stock hood
>with the stock air filter as well.

You have two very different manifolds there. After just going through an
engine build that included a dyno session and bench flowing the heads I can
give you some input.

First of all,  I am running the stock F4B -- not because it was better.  I
am only running it because it is STOCK and correct for my class in the
concours.  My engine builder highly recommended a performer, victor jr
etc.  He said I would probably flow another 60-75 cfm over the F4B.

With that said, I am happy I stayed with the F4B for nostalgia sake, and my
motor has plenty of horsepower.

Rob

66 Sunbeam Tiger (351 W)             64 Sunbeam Tiger (HiPo 289, Lord
Rootes Winner 2001)
65 Sunbeam Alpine (Rotary)       67 Mustang Fastback          98 Mustang
Cobra  # 4973

Check out the latest pictures of my Tiger Restoration:
http://www.members.home.com/bomber441

My Mustangs:
http://www.kaiserair.com/oldsite/mustangs.html