Re: RELEASE BEARING

To: "John & Diane Voice" <drjev@direct.ca>
Subject: Re: RELEASE BEARING
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:24:03 -0400
At 11:12 AM 10/10/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>HI GUYS
>
>THIS IS A QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS WITH GREASEABLE RELEASE BEARINGS, SHOULD A
>GREASE LINE BE INSTALLED AND A HOLE DRILLED THROUGH THE BELLHOUSING SO THE
>GREASE NIPPLE IS ACESSIBLE FOR LATER GREASING FROM UNDER THE CAR OR THE OTHER
>THOUGHT IS TO EXIT IT FROM THE BACK SIDE OF THE RELEASE FORK OPENING.
>
>THE LAST OPTION I GUESS WOULD BE NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT BUT ITS THERE.
>
>YOUR RESPONSES WOULD BE APPRECIATED AND IF THERES SOME OTHER OPTION PLEASE
>FEEL FREE TO EXPRESS YOUR VIEW.
>
>JOHN
>9470748

John,
        I have used several throw out bearings with grease fittings.  I always
considered that the fitting was to allow the user to put in "good" grease
when it was installed. I have never "remoted" the grease zert fitting as I
always seemed to change the clutch before the throwout bearing went bad.
However; it might be a good idea.  You might want to consider removing the
zert fitting and installing a flexable extension hose with the zert at the
outside
end of the hose.  Remember the throwout bearing is moved every time you push or
release the clutch and with a "cheap" extension hose one could simply
add another item to fail.  Never considered how one would route such a hose.
     What we really need is an upper ball joint with a grease fitting and
rubber boots for both upper and lower that do not fail.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others