Re: Wheels

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@home.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:08:24 -0700
At 06:59 PM 10/10/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>James, I find your comments interesting but somewhat incorrect in
>function.  I have used mustang mag wheels on my Tiger racecar for many,
>many vintage races as well as hundreds of solo events.  There has never
>been an instance of 'slop' or loose wheels using high quality tapered lug
>nuts of 7/16.  If the wheels are installed with the correct torque and
>tightened in the proper sequence there should not be an issue. At least in
>my experience.....my 2 cents.  On a Tiger used mostly on the street I see
>no problems.
>Gunny
>         Gunny,
>                 Well some people are lucky.  Consider that the original
>Tiger lug nuts have a sharper taper than the US aftermarket lug nuts.
>The Mustang was designed for the US style lug nuts.  You did say "high
>quality lug nuts", I assume that you mean US style lug nuts with the
>proper taper for the Mustang wheels.  How about the person who assumes
>that the original Tiger or Alpine nuts were OK to use on the Mustang
>wheels?  I believe that if there is a known consern for safty, one should do
>what is possible (within reason of course) to avoid the possible problem.
>
>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

         I think the best solution for those who want to push their Tigers
that hard is to drill the hubs for 1/2" studs.  The studs are another place
that fatigue takes it's toll and running potentially mismatched  nuts and
wheels will only accelerate this problem.  The extra safety margin is
significant.

Tom Hall