RE: Tigers United wish list

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tigers United wish list
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:36:10 -0700
 I have observed that when someone puts the Ford V-6 in an Alpine the
general reaction is favorable ("nice job"). Yet should someone put a Ford
V-8 in an Alpine that guy is often a @#$%^&* FRAUD!
  Long before I was aware of the aspects of what makes a Tiger a "Tiger" I
had considered a V-8 in an Alpine simply because it seemed the most
reasonable way of having a car in the "Tiger Spirit" without the associated
cost. I had no intentions of defrauding the marque, I simply wanted a "Tiger
like" car that I could afford.
 There are only so many real Tiger's to go around. Thus it seems the judging
event should be exclusive regardless of rejection, or inclusive with well
defined catagories. The better questions asked are: Is this a Sunbeam event,
or is it a Tiger event. Is this an event for Stock only cars or do modified
cars have their merit.
  In a very real sense the Ken Miles car and the Shelby car were just
modified Alpines. Were the AF (Alpine Ford) cars really Tigers (as sold to
the general public) or did they only become Tigers when those that were
refurbished were offered up? Are the LeMans Tigers simply a Tiger by badge?
They are in fact (multiple) "one off" vehicles.
  I don't mean to defame these significant cars, rather I am provoking the
thought as to their "non-stock" status and yet their very prominence in the
Tiger community. Should one be prohibited from bettering their Tiger at the
cost of performance and safety just to be an eligible contestant? Is an
Alger (presented as such) that is well done any less of a Sunbeam in the
same spirit of the Tiger?
 I agree that a Tiger (as presented) should be a real Tiger. I think there
is merit and honor for a car that has been restored to Stock configuration.
Yet this debate as to which cars should be eligible for the Lord Rootes
award is beginning to sound like "who's going to control Ewing Oil." Does
anyone "really" fear that an Alger could (honestly) win or is it just an
argument for argument sake?
 There is a story in the Bible where two woman claim to be the mother of a
child. King Solomon decrees that the child be cut in half and given to each
woman. The real mother of the child then offers to give the child up knowing
that he will then live. Likewise, perhaps the Lord Rootes award should just
be recinded thus removing a point of contention from the event. May the real
mother please - step - forward. I know I'm just some guy who has a junk
Tiger of a few years that doesn't even run, but sometimes it takes an
outsider looking in to see past the past. Respectfully, Tom Witt B9470101