Re: Tigers United wish list

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Tim Jordan" <tjordan@wagnerprocess.com>
Subject: Re: Tigers United wish list
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:08:16 -0700
Tim wrote:
> Not to many Alpines with V8's installed  have retained their Alpine script
> and other Alpine "only" emblems etc.

> The Alger was never commisioned by Rootes!   Is a kit Cobra that is
> well done any less of a Shelby in the same spirit of the Shelby Cobra?
> Carrol Shelby has spent years in court answering this question.

 Tim perhaps I'm fighting someone elses battle for them, but here in Ventura
Co. there is a guy that put a 1994 injected 5.0 in his Alpine, converted to
R&P steering etc. This car still retains the Alpine script. It is a very
well thought out and executed conversion.  To call this car an Alger is
applying a title that the owner never intended. He has a modified Alpine.
This car WAS commisioned by Rootes in its original Alpine configuration,
however it has now been modified. Though not a Tiger, it is still a Sunbeam.
The Cobra kit cars are knock-offs, they never were Colbra's. There is a
difference between say ....  a 427 knock-off and a real 289 Cobra that
someone (foolishly might I add)  installed a 427 in. It may not be a real
427 Cobra, but it would  still be a real "modified" Cobra. To that extent
even an intentionally fraudulent Alger is still a Sunbeam. It just need to
be identified for what it really is a personally modified V-8 Sunbeam Alpine
(buyer beware).
 I fully understand the concern about  bogus Tigers, they should be called
out for what they are. But I do think that some measure of respect should be
given to someone who modifies their Alpine in the "spirit of the Tiger"
without trying to pass it off as one. Rather than seeing these cars as the
"Bastard Child" I think they should be seen as the Sunbeam (Tiger)  "Step
Brother." These people are, after all, still Sunbeam owners.
Just some food for thought (I'm really not trying to be obnoxious): If I
take my real Tiger, convert it to an Alpine, should I leave the Tiger script
on?
Respectfully, Tom Witt