Remembering JC Whitney

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Remembering JC Whitney
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 00:03:36 EST
For years I told people that the JC Whitney (Warshawsy's)
was one of the best free shows in Chicago.  With luck you
could park around the corner (within easy sniper range of
the Cabrini Green housing project).  Once inside you were
greeted by a wooden floor store with rows of car stuff.  You
took a number.  I once got #23.  Thought that was good until
the number board showed #37.  I would have to wait for the
numbers to wrap around.  I quickly learned that the trick
was to order 'Will Call'.  There was never a line at 'Will Call'.
I always used the JC Whitney catalogue because the prices
were always 5% - 10% cheaper than Warshawsky.  I was
told that the cheaper Whitney prices were supposed to
offset the shipping.  The noise was terrific.  All horns and
sirens and lights were tested at the counter.  Once you had
your stuff, your clerk would take your order slip to the owner
who sat on a stool observing everyone.  He would check
the arithmetic and initial the slip.  The clerk would hand you
the slip and you would pay the cashier.  She was the lady
in a steel cage.  She would stamp the order slip and you
would return to your clerk, who would give you your parts.
You left the store to the blare of horns being tested.  On
the way out to your car, there would always be a vendor
selling genuine 100% cashmere sweaters for $10.  Seems
his boss had ordered to many and he had to sell them
or he would lose his job.  His back seat was stacked with
them.

I got a formed rubber floor mat for my 1950 Chrysler there.
$19 got me a new fender for my VW.

Yes sir.  One of the best free shows in town.  Almost as
much fun as watching the Veg-a-matic salemen on the
Atlantic City boardwalk.  What a spiel they had.

Sorry for rambling.  Its Sunday night.

Dave Johnson, B382002668(under repair) Aurora, IL