Re: Explorers - no Tiger Content.

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Explorers - no Tiger Content.
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 00:50:11 EST
If you put 5-6 adults in your Explorer, you had
better check the GVW.  Most people don't know
that you can quickly exceed the GVW and then
the automakers can put all the blame on you.

Its a cruel hoax by Detroit that only the truck
based SUV's can carry a full load plus a trailer.
I often see Explorers filled with adults and
the backend  with gear and at the same time towing
a boat or trailer.  The GVW exceeds the limit of
the vehicle.

Just this week I saw a Beretta towing a U-haul
car hauler with a full size car on it.  The weight
of the trailer and car easily exceeded the weight
of the Beretta.

If you intend to tow a lot, you should get the
proper vehicle.  My brother has used full size Suburbans
with Class III equalizing hitches to tow a 4 Horse
trailers for years.  I borrowed one to tow my Tiger to Aspen.
I never know the trailer was back there.

As to tire pressure, from what I have read, the
tire sidewall should give you the info you need.
Remember the tire pressure assumes a cold
tire.  Automakers usually reduce this pressure
to soften the ride.  I think that Ford still hasn't
come clean with the Explorer problem.  But
I also think a lot of the rollovers are caused
by the drivers.  How often have you been cruising
75-80 and get passed my loaded SUV's.
A vehicle exceeding the GVW of the tires
and driven at  high speed, generating all sorts
of stess on the tires.  Then there's a blowout
and the driver blames Ford.  Why didn't he
just slow down and reduce the load?

Ignorance is bliss.